The syphilis test is a self – collection kit which has everything you need to take a blood sample. The syphilis test enables you to check your health status and it’s important you do so at least once a year if you are in stable relationship and more often if you are sexually active with different partners. Here at raTrust you can take your test confidentially and at a time and place convenient to you.
What is included in the syphilis test kit?
Your syphilis test kit contains a blood collection sample, a form for you to fill in your details and a prepaid envelope. After you’ve done the test and filled in the form, all you need to do is post it to us and we’ll do the rest.
How do I take a sample?
Your syphilis test will require a sample of blood from your finger. Please don’t worry, it’s not painful! All instructions will be delivered with your self-collection kit.
When I will know the results?
If you test for syphilis at home, you can use a high priority service and get your results in 4 hours (after your sample reaches the laboratory) or the standard one which is 24 hours. The test for syphilis is simple and, despite what you may have heard, painless.
Why do I need to get tested?
Syphilis is one of the less common STIs in the UK, but in the past decade the number of new infections has risen. In 2016, 5,920 people were diagnosed and an even bigger group don’t even know they might have it. Untreated syphilis can lead to irreversible damage to your body and health. We recommend you to do a syphilis test at least once a year, even if you are in a stable relationship. If you are sexually active, it’s very important to check yourself each time you change sexual partner.
Syphilis is also spread through contact with blood, so if you have had contact with it you need to get tested too. It’s essential to know the state of your health, so please don’t be scared. If your result comes up positive, we will help you!
Can I trust syphilis self-collection kit?
- The self-collection syphilis test is reliable and accurate and its results are comparable to usual clinical tests as it’s tested in a laboratory. Only the first step – sampling – is done by you at home.
- You can do it on your own, in private, at a time convenient for you. There is no rush, which you might find at a clinic or GP surgery.
- Your sample is sent to the largest independent provider of clinical laboratory diagnostic services in the UK – The Doctor’s Laboratory. Laboratory testing is the most accurate way of testing.
- It doesn’t matter if you take a test at your home or at the clinic as both go to laboratories to be checked. The only difference is, if you order a self-collection kit you only have to wait just 24 hours to get the results whereas in a clinic, you may have to wait much longer.
What are the facts?
- In 2016, 321 women and 5,598 men were tested positive for syphilis in England.